Answering the Divorce Petition

Saxe Law divorced parents not required to pay tuition

You May Be Risking An Unsatisfactory Judgment By Ignoring The Petition

You just received a petition for dissolution of marriage (i.e., divorce) and you are wondering what to do next. If you take no action in Illinois you risk a negative result in your case in the form of a default judgment, where, for example, a judge can divide assets and debts based only upon the information provided to the court by your spouse. Once a default judgment is entered, you only recourse is to file a motion with the court to vacate the judgment.

Instead of ignoring the petition for dissolution, taking no action, and risking a default judgment, the better approach is to file an Answer and Counter-Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. This allows you to get involved in the matter, gain some control of the process, and protect your rights and interests.

If you have questions about the divorce process please contact David Saxe at Saxe Law LLC for a free consultation.